An article at: http://truckinginfo.com/news/news-detail.asp?news_id=77375 gives a good summary of what the new Highway Reauthorization Bill is going to bring.
A few of the high points:
- EOBR's (electronic logs) will be required for all trucks subject to Hours of Service regulations.
- A requirement for a truck size and weight study.
- A requirement for a study of the 34 hour restart provision.
- Establishment of a National Freight Network.
- A study of the need for truck crashworthiness standards.
- A "Jason's Law" provision that will fund truck parking spaces.
If you're not familiar with Jason's Law, you can visit my blog here: http://truckied.wordpress.com/jason/
Overall, I'd say that the new bill is a victory for some actual common sense when it comes to highway safety. From Congress. Wonders never cease 🙂