The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

We recently wrote a post about the prescription drug Zofran, and its link to an increased risk of birth defects, in particular cardiac malformations and possible injury to the mother.

Zofran, made by GlaxoSmithKline, is a prescription drug that is commonly used for morning sickness and nausea in pregnant women. To that end, this post is a follow up to further highlight the type of heart defects associated with Zofran use while pregnant.

Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) – a hole in the wall between the two upper chambers of your heart (atrial). The condition is generally present from birth (congenital). Small defects of this kind may close on their own during early childhood. While larger atrial septal defects can damage the heart and lungs. Adults with an undetected (ASD) for decades may have a shortened life span from heart failure and/or high blood pressure. In such cases surgery may be required.

Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) – a hole in the heart, commonly present at birth. It occurs in the wall that separates the heart’s lower chambers and allows blood to pass from the left to the right side of the heart. The oxygen-rich blood then gets pumped back into the lungs rather than outside of the body causing the heart to work that much harder. A small VSD may never cause problems and close on their own while larger VSDs may require surgery to prevent any further complications.

Heart Murmurs – abnormal sounds during your heartbeat cycle that are caused by turbulent blood in or near your heart. The sounds can be detected on a stethoscope. This can also be present at birth or develop later in life. A heart murmur is not a disease but it may be an indication of a more serious heart problem.

If you are pregnant and have Zofran or if your child has been born with complications due to Zofran use while pregnant, you should consult an attorney.

Comments are closed.